Saturday, August 28, 2010

Unrefined = Sad

This morning I woke up to the phone call that asked if I could fill in for a couple of lessons for another instructor, who was sick. I had 20 minutes before needing to leave the house. I pulled myself together and got there at exactly 8 am. Yes! I wasn't sure I could get there in time and ate a great breakfast of Cheetos in the car.

Both of my students had driving tests. Both had some unrefined driving skills. Both deserved to have someone work with them on perfecting their habits. Both need to come again and retest.

So why do I feel so bad? I really liked both students. I wanted them to do well. And I can't stop thinking about them. Their disappointment. But it wasn't me. I didn't "fail" them. I just judged their skills. Everyone else on the road is happy that these two will be improving their defensive driving habits. I just didn't want to be the bad guy or bearer of bad news today.

Young people, please practice your driving skills. A lot. Like at least 30 minutes a day for many months. It helps me to sleep better at night...knowing that our roads are safe and so are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank YOU for sharing your story with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...